[PLUG] ssh / window manager interaction land mine.

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jan 7 20:03:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Russell Evans wrote:

> So why not
>
> ("remote-host1" (system "/usr/bin/X11/xterm -e ssh remote-host1")
>
> do you really need to use the xterm on the remote?

+1

I auto-generate my xfce desktop menus with a bunch of host entries for
our network at work. The command portion ends up looking like

  xterm -T $host -n $host -e ssh $fqdnforhost

I like to user FQDNs rather than unqualified hostnames for ssh because
it's easier (for me, anyway) to wildcards in my ~/.ssh/config file,
e.g.,

  Host *.trusted.net
    ForwardAgent yes
    ForwardX11 yes