[PLUG] Linux or Unix Classes(warning: VENTING)

Kevin Theobald kevintheobald at vzavenue.net
Wed Jan 7 21:59:02 UTC 2004

Rich Shepard writes:

 >   Real-world experience probably counts for much more than does classroom
 > learning. Lots of options out there for the well motivated, and that
 > includes you. :-)

As a former academic, I strongly disagree.  What classrooms SHOULD be
giving is a foundation in the fundamentals of your profession.
"Real-world experience" is too tied up in details to give this
understanding.  Some people may be able to figure out the general
concepts from the specifics, but most people will not.  Most
programming and other books written for "professionals" are aimed at
people who either already understand the fundamentals, or don't care.

Most CS courses have been taught in Unix-family OSes because they are
well-structured, illustrate the principles well, and some are
open-source, which is ideal for study.  If they are teaching MS, most
likely they are not teaching anything applicable to other areas.  Most
likely, it's "OK, to set up this network, click on
Configure->Network->..." or something like that.

Kevin