[PLUG] Tuning up mailscanner and postfix...

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Wed Jan 7 23:44:02 UTC 2004

I'm trying to figure out how to get locally generated email to go
through the scanner no matter what the destination is.  Under evolution,
there is the sendmail send and the smtp send options.  What is the
difference?  How can I configure things so that choosing the sendmail
option won't bypass mailscanner?  How do I reconfigure the replacement
attachment for when there is a suspected virus?  I'm really using
Postfix, I'm not sure of the version though.

Is there a clamav or spamassassin patch to scan Microsoft Word
documents and other binary attachments directly?

BTW: I don't know exactly what the standard locations are to install
     clamav in, so I installed under /usr/include/clamav.

     Figuring it's normal to install under /bin and /sbin by the
     directory structure that was created, I made links to the
     individual executables under /usr/local/clamav/{bin,sbin}.
     For the libraries, I added the path to /etc/ld.so.conf.
     How do I source the new library path?  SMTP emailing to
     myself a  test virus out of the clam source, I seem to
     have clamav scans working.  I got the possible virus
     warning.

     If mailscanner calls spamassassin, is there any reason
     to program .forward and .procmailrc to run spamassassin
     anymore?

     --  Michael C. Robinson