[PLUG] Linux or Unix Classes(warning: VENTING)

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Thu Jan 8 16:00:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 14:19, Alan wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 00:48, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 22:01, Kevin Theobald wrote:
> > > Rich Shepard writes:
> > >
> > >  >   Real-world experience probably counts for much more than does classroom
> > >  > learning. Lots of options out there for the well motivated, and that
> > >  > includes you. :-)
> > >
> > > As a former academic, I strongly disagree.  What classrooms SHOULD be
> > > giving is a foundation in the fundamentals of your profession.
> >
> > Speaking as a training company, I agree. We prefer to offer Linux
> > training that's mostly distribution-neutral and covers the
> > concepts and fundamentals. That's why we've never offered "Red Hat
> > Linux" training.
>
> What would be valuable would be a course in where the various
> distributions differ.

Our courses do that but in a general sense. For example, we
cover the different boot loaders and mention which
distributions use them. We cover grub and how to configure
it - not how it's configured by default for a particular
Linux distribution.

Similarly, we cover system startup by teaching both BSD-style
and System V-style and examining typical startup scripts.

> Training should enable the trained to be able to navigate their way
> around no matter what distribution they are on.

Agreed. This is our goal.

> The advantage to U*i* is that those things normally do not change every
> version.  (Unlike Windows.)

Well, Red Hat Linux is/was a moving target. Each new version
had quite a few significant changes.