[PLUG] Help please, linux md raid broken

Jack Morgan jack at bonyari.com
Thu Jan 8 16:26:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:59:50PM -0800, Steven Raymond wrote:
> Am not sure I'm in the right place, but I booted off the RH9 disc 1, did
> linux rescue and issued cat /proc/mdstat:
>
> Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid5]
> read_ahead 1024 sectors
> unused devices: <none>
>
> Is that what you were directing me towards?  If so, is it saying the drives
> are online?

What i'd suggest since you've booted a rescue disc, is start and mount the raid devices one at a time. Basically, what you would do is create your /etc/raidtab. make sure your rescue disk has raid1 included in the kernel or modprobe the module, which ever is the case. Then use raidstart /dev/mdX then mount your raid devices like so... mount /dev/md0 /mnt/rescue.

As pointed out in this thread, check /proc/mdstat for clues. Mine looks like this:

jmorgan at saitama:~$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 hdb6[1] hda6[0]
      4008064 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 hdb7[1] hda7[0]
      505920 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md3 : active raid1 hdb8[1] hda8[0]
      505920 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md4 : active raid1 hdb9[1] hda9[0]
      10008384 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md5 : active raid1 hdb10[1] hda10[0]
      61568960 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 hdb5[1] hda5[0]
      1003904 blocks [2/2] [UU]

This might help in identifing error messages while doing raidstart or mount.

--
Jack Morgan
pub  1024D/620F545F 2002-06-18 Jack Morgan <jack at bonyari.com>