[PLUG] fetchmail fetchall and keep options...

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Fri Jan 9 18:29:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 19:19, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 18:40, none wrote:

> ...that he has little understanding of IMAP

> > Am I right in assuming that if I use say evolution to access imap
> > account rob at wherever, then use Eudora to access the same account
> > rob at whereever, that these two MUAs maintain their own information
> > about what is read and not read?  Will you get all messages with
> > both mail user agents if they are running side by side accessing
> > rob at whereever at the same time?  If not, why not?

> I found myself frustrated reading through the rest of your email, but
> this is an easy answer.  Perhaps you didn't far well in Karla's classes
> because you are not keyed to learn from certain teaching styles, such as
> email in a mailing list or Karla's lecture style?

Without email I wouldn't know a heck of a lot about Linux,
it just isn't politically correct to know about Linux.

The problem isn't her lecture style, I aced her midterm which was
basically did you get what I talked about in lecture...  The problem
is her assignments on top of the fact that the tutors decided to
be absent for the first four weeks of the term.  I aced 161 and
got a B in 163, but 202 was just impossible.  First assignment
was to program a Patricia tree, I still have no idea what that is.
She said not to google and didn't explain what they are, the
example diagram was ambiguous.  Add to this that you're supposed
to be dealing with function overloading C++ style and/or you have
to write all the standard C libraries in two weeks time, you have
a real headache.  She just didn't teach adequately.  Maybe the
new 202, no C at the end, is better.  I for one need more help
on how to debug, editor tricks, etc.  For a sophomore level
course, it was overkill.

She does a good job with linked list programming.  Why do
I have to apologize for having trouble anyways?  I'm not
saying I've written the best stuff lately, but I'm not the
only one to get stuck in an advanced C++ course.  I
do apologize for being cynical.  I hope I'm not singled
out as the only one who vents, I'm certainly not the
only one.

Thank you for explaining IMAP more clearly.  If fetchmail
doesn't tell the IMAP server to mark messages as read, it
has to keep a local list to avoid fetching them multiple
times.  Without the fetchall, even if the keep option is
on, fetchmail appears to act just like evolution.
If keep is omitted, does fetchmail treat an imap account
like a pop3 account?

     --  Michael C. Robinson