[PLUG] when not to use a journaling FS

D. Cooper Stevenson cstevens at gencom.us
Sat Jan 10 17:08:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 16:36, Marvin wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:16:37 -0800
> Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time I read something that said "do not use a journaling FS for
> > this..",

[snip]

> Seems like it was  /boot for some reason????

/boot is better "mkfs'd" as ext2 so that one needn't rely on journaling
filesystem tools on the rescue media to at least boot the machine.

This gets especially important with LVM, as many rescue CD's and floppys
do not include "lvmtools."

There are some subtleties that makes true even though the tools on the
rescue media is available. One is that not having to worry about the
integrity of the filesystem _and_ the journaling structure.

Carla mentioned not to use journaling filesystems for something--as in
it simply won't work--and it seems like she's right... Is it for raw
Oracle database partitions?

-Cooper

| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper at gencom.us            |
| General Computer        | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Open For Business"     | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |