[PLUG] Incredibly Slow scp Across Local Ethernet

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Mon Jan 12 17:15:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:28:49PM -0800, Bill Barry wrote:

> Does ifconfig show any dropped or error packets? I have had this type of

Yes, as a matter of fact it does. On the P120, it shows quite a few
(several per second) packet errors on the receive ("RX") line. The same
number is reported as "overruns".

> trouble with cross-over cables. Do you have a hub or switch
> you could temporarily put in and eliminate the crossover cable.

I do. It's just a matter of finding the time. Since this involves a
"toy" project, it may have to wait to until the weekend. :-(

> Also this could be a bad NIC. If you have ethtool installed, what
> does "ethtool eth0" report? You could  try switching out NIC's

Don't have ethtool installed, but it can be done. The NIC is a PCMCIA
combo-card (NIC and modem). The only other PCMCIA NIC I have is missing
its RJ-45 dongle. Anyone know if replacements for those can be had?

Paul