[PLUG] Re: Incredibly Slow scp Across Local Ethernet

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Mon Jan 12 17:59:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Wil Cooley wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 17:21, Paul Mullen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 04:59:36PM -0800, Terry Griffin wrote:
> > >
> > > scp's built-in progress bar is highly misleading. I suspect it's not
> > > accounting for local buffering. I notice this when I'm transfering over
> >
> > That's the second suggestion that scp's progress bar may be bogus. How
> > might I determine for sure? I can 'ls -l' the same directory that scp is
> > copying the file into, and the file size reported is the same as what
> > scp says its transfered.
>
> Use 'ttcp' to test your throughput; you set one system up as the sender
> and one as the receiver and it'll stream data across the network.
> Tremendously handy.

Ah, thanks again Wil.  Another nifty gem for the tool kit.  In the FWIW
department,  anytime I've seen this issue it is ethernet related.  Duplex
mismatch and speed settings are the usual suspects, especially prevalent
on networks with Sun hosts and Cisco network gear. Very rarely see this
with x86 linux hosts though.