[PLUG] Comcast network remap?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Jan 13 08:26:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Fedor Pikus wrote:

> I've stayed with the same IP from ATTBI/Comcast for about half a
> year. Then, today, DHCP suddenly renegotiated new lease, and it's a
> totally different network: used to be 12.203.20.0, now it's
> 67.171.188.0 Anyone else on Comcast saw similar change today?

Yep. I went from 12.x.x.x to 67.x.x.x as well. Thanks for your post.
I'd gotten out of the habit of checking my address and would have been
cut off from my home machine had I not seen your message.

By the way: Anyone else who's experienced this address change may also
experience an unsettling side effect. Some large ISPs (including AOL,
iirc) block mail the comes directly from *.client.comcast.net
addresses. They expect legit mail to come from Comcast's real mail
servers and judge messages relayed from *.client.comcast.net to be
spam or viruses.

So if you send outbound mail directly from your home network, you
might have to do some minor surgery to route mail correctly. If you
use sendmail, then

  cd /etc/mail
  echo 'aol.com     esmtp:[smtp.comcast.net]' >>mailertable
  makemap hash mailertable < mailertable

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>