[PLUG] OpenOffice-1.1.0 display on network host

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at kens.cad2cam.com
Wed Jan 14 17:10:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 10:57, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> >   I remembered that I needed to run /opt/OpenOffice1.0.0/program/setup for
> > her -- as a user -- and I tried to do this (as root) on the networked host.
> > Unlike each previous version, this time the attempt fails because X cannot
> > open the display on 0:0. But, X is running on that workstation as is
> > sylpheed and jpilot. Both the server and the other host are running RH 7.3.
>
>   Well, something else is going on. I could not open a terminal window when
> logged in as her for the same X server reason. But, when I logged her out
> and logged in as me, X fired up with no problems.
>
>   I don't have a clue now as to why this workstation is mis-behaving for
> her.
>
> Hmmm-m-m-m,
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>

Looks to me as simply xhost permissions need to allow root.  Since you
started the X session as Pam or yourself, the X windows does not allow
root permission to display a window.  Since you are doing root on the
same system, do: xhost +localhost.  The root has access to the X
windows.

Ken Stephens
CAD2CAM.COM