SAPDB/MaxDB and Firebird [Was: [PLUG] MySQL v. PostgreSQL -- perhaps an easy answer]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 15 14:14:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Robby Russell wrote:

> > It is communities that keep open source projects alive and healthy.
>
> It is also competition that helps drive open source projects to be
> bigger, better and ....

  I suspect that in addition to the opinions of both of you, part of what
makes open source software good is pride of ownership. The individuals who
identify a need and create a solution take pride in its adoption and use. It
is very satisfying to the ego to know that your efforts are being used and
appreciated by others. Therefore, because most of us care greatly about our
reputations we strive to improve what we do because it's associated with us
-- even when others step up to help.

  Two prominent examples are jpilot (Judd Montgomery) and Xfce (Olivier
Fourdan). This takes nothing away from language developers and others, but
only illustrates two individuals whose single-handed efforts have made a
tremendous improvement in my computing efficiency.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>