[PLUG] Mailbox Size Monitoring

D. Cooper Stevenson cstevens at gencom.us
Thu Jan 15 22:31:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 21:45, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Sending email to a user to warn that their mailbox is nearly full is a
> bit like the bank charging my account an overdraft fee when I run out
> of money to cover my checks.

Sort of. It helps prevent emails from getting lost because the user has
bumped up against the mailbox limit. While I have a backup delivery
system, it's inconvenient.

If the user knows that they're almost to the point where they could
start loosing emails, they will do something about it.

It's not like they have a shell account on the mail server, so how else
would they really know? Sure, they could scan their Inbox but can anyone
here say, "based on my scan of my Inbox, I suspect I have about 34 MB of
email" just by looking?

| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper at gencom.us            |
| General Computer        | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Open For Business"     | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |