[PLUG] Let's Help Frank Vaughan

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Fri Jan 16 16:43:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 14:15, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Kyle Accardi wrote:
> > Anyone know of a super easy firewall distro to recommend?  I'm thinking
> > boot from CD with nice friendly web gui.  Less scary than floppyfw.
>
> There's nothing less scary than floppyfw.
>
> You edit a text file.  Add your network information, tell it whether you
> want DHCP or not, and go.

I run floppyfw and I am confused by the setup.  It is hard to tweak (it
must be done on another machine) and mistakes can foobar the whole
system.

> No web services to exploit, no nothin'.

I like for it for this reason, but I consider it trickier than a web
interface.

If it just came at you with DHCP Outside, NAT inside and that's it, then
it works great (I think that's it default).

But if that is the case, a < $100 router can do it as well (like most
wireless APs).  And I could argue that's not a firewall, that's a NAT
device.

BTW I have never, ever, seen a firewall under windows that is easy to
understand.

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com