[PLUG] PLUG vs. PLUG

Dan Haskell danh at fork.com
Mon Jan 19 00:32:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Geoff Burling wrote:

> This whole topic of group names is becoming boring. Yes, they are
> similar -- enough that should one group decide to embrace a
> controversial cause (say, official affiliation with NAMBLA -- the
> folks who proudly assert ``sex by eight, or it's too late"), the other
> would be thought of advocating the same cause. However, by this point
> neither appears to be willing to change their name. I guess we're
> going to have to figure out how to get along, just as Linux & BSD
> folks tolerate each other.

Geoff,

Your analogy doesn't work. This isn't some emacs-versus-vi sort of
religious dispute. PDXLUG's choice of names has impacted our dealings with
outside organizations like Linux Journal and O'Reilly. It has also caused
confusion in the local community. Our concerns are not trivial.

> Let's let the topic drop.

We can let it drop for now, but it will keep coming back until they wake
up and "do the right thing".

Dan