[PLUG] PLUG vs. PLUG

Robby Russell robby at planetargon.com
Mon Jan 19 11:56:01 UTC 2004

Dan Haskell wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Russell Evans wrote:
>

>>It's hard to argue that we didn't drop the name when it says we did on
>>our web page. Even if some of us didn't drop the name, the organization
>>did.
>

> Except it doesn't say we *dropped* the name. In fact, PLUG's officers
> (official cat herders?) never abandoned the old name.  I have used it in
> almost every Clinic announcement - which are official PLUG documents - and
> Dave Mandel has a DBA on it with the State of Oregon. Further we have a
> ten year history of use which gives us a *legal* right to that name.
>
> There seems to be a misunderstanding here that the changing of an
> organization or company's name automatically puts the old name to be the
> public domain. This is not the case. IBM bought Sequent and and re-branded
> all their products - which does not mean you're free to start a computer
> company called Sequent.
>
> BTW, I want to thank you for your postings here. PDXLUG has banned several
> of us from posting to their list and, in my case, from even mailing them
> privately. Answering your questions gives us an opportunity to make our
> case public.
>
> Dan

So, PLUG is a business? Oh, my mistake. I thought it was a group of
people who all shared an interest in Linux rather than someones personal
business.  Are you all employees of PLUG?

http://sos-venus.sos.state.or.us:8080/beri_prod/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=978439&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE