[PLUG] PLUG vs. PLUG

Dan Haskell danh at fork.com
Mon Jan 19 12:34:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Cliff Wells wrote:

> Perhaps PLUG should "do the right thing" and change their name so as not
> to cause confusion with the Provo Linux User Group (http://www.plug.org)
> or any other number of P* Linux Users Groups that exist around the world
> (there are a *lot*).

http://www.bitlaw.com/trademark/

"Where a mark is protected only under common law trademark rights, the
same marks can be used where there is no geographic overlap in the use of
the marks."

> Just out of curiosity, what would you suggest a Portland Linux user's
> group call itself?

Go to any city that has more than one LUG and you will see that each one
has come up with a unique name. As I remember, at one time, Seattle had
both a SEASLUG and a SLUG. A little differentiation is all we're asking
for. We have made suggestions in the past only to have them dismissed out
of hand.

[snip]
> Unfortunately what it doesn't make clear is that PLUG apparently has
> more than its fair share of immature and unreasonable children who
> make loud noises when they don't get their way.  Please feel free to
> shout "we were here first!"  and throw rocks as long as you like, but
> as an adult, I can assure that the world doesn't work that way.

We've had the name for ten years. Under the law, that makes it *our* name.
What exactly is immature or unreasonable about that?

Dan