[PLUG] PLUG vs. PLUG

Dan Haskell danh at fork.com
Mon Jan 19 13:27:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Robby Russell wrote:

> Hiring?:-p

If you're offering to come help at the Clinic, I'll take you up on that.
We are an inclusive group - we'll take anyone who is interested in Linux.

[snip]
> David and I have discussed this on several occasions off-list (as he is
> the proud owner of 'Portland Linux UserS Group' in the business world of
> Oregon), he seemed content with the agreement that we (PDXLUG) would do
> what we could try to refer to ourselves as PDXLUG (as 'a Portland Linux
> User Group' should anyone ask what it stood for).
>
> If he, the owner has no issue and has made this statement in PUBLIC [1]
> in regards to the usage of the name, than YOU have no right to make
> LEGAL accusations on the behalf of others.
>
> Question is, do YOU have the right to use that name in your emails?

The simple answer is that Dave Mandel gave me permission. He got
frustrated with your intrasigence and passed off to me (amoung others).

In answer to your other point - you appear to have read too much into his
posting on your list. He said that he would be OK with your group going by
PDXLUG as your primary name. He didn't say he was OK with you sneaking in
Portland Linux Users Group as a subtitle.

> We've been doing our best to use PDXLUG when we refer to ourselves and
> in NO WAY claim to be the sole LUG in town.

I appreciate that and consider it a good start. Now if you could just come
up with a better expanded name, we'd be home free.

> [1] http://www.pdxlug.org/pipermail/pdxlug/2003-December/001736.html
>
> now chill out...and spread the love of linux. :-p

I've been out there every month with the Clinic doing exactly that.
Thanks.

Dan