[PLUG] PLUG vs. PLUG

Robby Russell robby at planetargon.com
Mon Jan 19 14:25:03 UTC 2004

list-groups wrote:
> Brian Beattie wrote:

>>> So one is an organic, open community (an appropriate reflection of the
>>> open source community as a whole) and the other is a totalitarian
>>> regime.
>>>
>>> I guess they can make the trains run on time and that makes the
>>> executions
>>> worthwhile.
>>>
>>> I get it now.
>>>

>> You are a lot more to the point than I.  The one thing that is clear to
>> me from my 15 (?) years of exposure to Usenet/Internet mailinglists is
>> that any artificial attempt to manage the SNR will be either 1)
>> ineffective or 2) destroy the creativity of the community.  The free
>> flow of ideas is either free or neat, never both.  Me I'll take free.
>>

> You folks are really reading deep into that original statement. I don't
> think that my observations of the distinction between PLUG and PDXLUG is
> designed or enforced, I think it's a matter of the individual preference
> in the different groups.  I think if you were to start a flame like this
> on PDXLUG it would be squelched because the majority doesn't want to
> talk about it,  not that some evil dictator didn't want it there (so
> much for the totalitarian conspiracy theory).
>
> Steve

..that would be yet another theory, but I'd like to think that Big
Brother controlled PDXLUG...and perhaps PDXLUG was created by members of
PLUG who wanted to keep PLUG members in order and off topic...and ignore
what was really happening behind the scenes of PLUG.

...but that is just my theory.

WAR is PEACE.