[PLUG] FYI: Burning CD-R's from iso's

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Mon Jan 19 16:40:26 UTC 2004

I posted earlier about dd hanging when trying to copy from /dev/cdrom to
foobar.iso where the contents of /dev/cdrom are a CD-R burned from say,
yarrow-i386-disc1.iso. (The same happened with cat /dev/cdrom and md5sum
/dev/cdrom.  I  found that the CD-R was actually OK by mounting the
original iso and diff-ing it with /mnt/cdrom. It also checked out OK in
the Fedora install.

I tried dd with a RH 8 disk and it worked fine. So there was some
difference between manufactured CD-ROM's and CD-R's made from iso's.

I found that adding the disk at once option(-dao) to cdrecord produces a
CD-R that works properly with dd, etc.

#cdrecord -v speed=24 dev=0,0,0 -dao -data /tmp/yarrow-i386-disc1.iso
--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>