[PLUG] Is Reporting Spam A Wast of Time?

B. Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Jan 19 17:24:21 UTC 2004

For nearly five weeks now I've been receiving virus-spams from Road
Runner's IP 24.208.135.215 -- about 1-2 per day. I've politely reported
them -- headers and all -- to abuse at rr.com, and always received the
worthless auto-response from them. Apparently, mail to their abuse team
just gets ignored because I'm still getting a steady light drizzle of
klez.

What's the point of trying to stop spam and viruses by reporting them when
the ISP responsible doesn't care? What does one do to get their attention?
Does anyone have a procmail recipe to relay these spams to Glenn A. Britt
(head of Road Runner) or someone at Time Warner (Road Runner owners) who
cares? If you can't stop spam going through the proper channels, then that
bodes badly for the future of this problem. Are spammers flooding the
abuse sites to render them useless? Should I accuse rr.com of harboring
domestic terrorism? What to do?

I can easily send these to dev/null, but that's so unsatisfying,
especially knowing that the spammer is free to run amok. It's frustrating!

- Bill Thoen