[PLUG] vi mail processing

Steve Beattie steve at wirex.net
Mon Jan 19 22:55:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 05:42:32PM -0800, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> However, didn't somebody have a more complex reply-quoting scheme that
> involved piping the mail through some external utility?

I think you are referring to something like the following, which I have
in my .vimrc (the latter being taken from Wil Cooley):

  map = {!}fmt -c -u
}
  map + {!}fmt -c -u -p"> "
}

(Note that the '
' is an actual carriage return, ascii 0x0d. I forget
the mechanism for entering it into vi.)

The former will pipe a paragraph through fmt(1), the latter will do
the same, but will only apply to (singlely) quoted text. I find fmt(1)
does a better job of justifying text than vim's internal mechanisms,
though it has some quirks of its own. Also, using fmt(1) like so should
be vi-clone agnostic.

With vim handling email, the other thing I did was modify
~/.vim/after/syntax/mail.vim to modify the quoted text color scheme
to match the scheme I use in mutt (thanks to Seth Arnold for the file
location).

One of the things I miss from yon olden dayes, when nearly everybody's
exposure to a *nix system was an account on a time-sharing system rather
than their own personal desktop machine, was being able to poke around
in other people's homedirs and look at the nifty things they would do
with their dot-files.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve at wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at