[PLUG] PLUG vs. PLUG

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jan 20 01:07:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Cliff Wells wrote:
> Jeme A Brelin wrote:
>
> >I'm not doing someone else's dirty work.  I have my own reasons for
> >defending my position and they've all (I think) been stated within this
> >thread.
> >
> Actually, they haven't.  This is at least partially why I am getting
> annoyed with all the bandwagon jumpers.  I would like to hear a coherent
> reason *why* anyone should be upset about PDXLUG.

You'll find that I haven't written that they SHOULD change their name.
I've merely corrected the misapprehensions you (and a couple of others)
have had about the history, apparent motivations of those people involved,
logical argument, and ideological differences between the organizations.

> Please spare me the horror stories about how emotionally abusive
> everyone there is as this list is at *least* as bad.

I think that's something you made up.  Dan wrote that the people on PDXLUG
were unwilling to discuss the issue like adults.  I (and others) wrote
that the list administrator runs a totalitarian regime.  But I don't think
anybody wrote anything about getting their feelings hurt.

> Instead, give me one solid reason why this should matter to anyone,
> anyone at all (except David Mandel, who's intentions I'm already aware
> of).  If you do, I'll address that and perhaps we can come to some
> sensible conclusion and not call the entire day a waste.

The O'Reilly and Linux Journal mix-ups have been mentioned already.
That is, to my mind, example enough to prove that confusion does exist.

> I am going to disregard the rest of your email as your condescending
> tone is just too irritating to respond to in any rational way.

I was showing measured, respectful restraint.  I'm not going to have a
pissing contest with you and see who can seem more macho and bad-ass.

I thought maybe you couldn't see that you were being abusive and insulting
and ignoring the real arguments.  I thought I could help you to see that.
Help sometimes seems condescending to people who don't know how to take it
or don't see that they need it.

> Please feel free to explain yourself in a short, concise fashion and
> I'll do the same.

Done.

J.
--