[PLUG] Conclusion to PDXLUG argument

Russell Evans russell-evans at qwest.net
Tue Jan 20 22:52:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:08:32 -0800
"Wil Cooley" <wcooley at nakedape.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 14:27, Cliff Wells wrote:
>
> > Still I have enough sense to know I can't register and successfully
> > defend a name like "Portland Nike Shoe Store" which is what you're
> > suggesting PLUG would be able to do with the Linux trademark.
> > Unless Linus says otherwise, user groups are free to use it.
> > Nevertheless, I doubt he's going to give up any rights on the name
> > to further PLUG's cause.
>
> Are you saying, then, that a company could not have a trademark like
> "Red Hat Linux" or "Jim Fischer Volvo"?

Red Hat, the company, is  Red Hat, Inc not Red Hat Linux. Jim Fisher
Volvo may indeed be Jim Fisher Volvo, but I will bet there is a specific
agreement about the use of Volvo in the name, and both parties signed on
the dotted line.

The simple question is did Linus approve using Linux in the DBA?

Thank you
Russell