[PLUG] Conclusion to PDXLUG argument

Cliff Wells clifford.wells at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 23:15:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 22:44, Russell Evans wrote:

> I don't think that are many LUGs Doing Business As "* Linux User Group".
> The DBA thing is worrisome and am surprised / shocked by its existence.

Well, the fact of the matter is that certain parties are using their
status in the group as leverage in gaining business for their firm(s).
I personally don't find much wrong with that aspect of it, and in fact
consider it fairly reasonable.   People often use membership in clubs as
a reference.  However, much of the concern over the name of PDXLUG
arises from a fear that confusion among potential *customers* might
arise, *not* potential LUG users as has been so vehemently claimed.
Therefore these individuals have instrumented much of the current heated
battle in an attempt to quell PDXLUG or at least make it a non-entity in
the LUG realm.  This I *do* have a problem with.  Further, I find it
repulsive that these persons would manipulate others into doing their
dirty work under the guise of protecting the community when really all
they are doing is protecting their income.  But then again, it rings of
the finest of American corporate manipulation.  I just expected better
of people with standing (however limited) in the OSS community.

As a side note, I am not aware that any of the active participants in
this argument in the last couple of days are directly involved in this,
and despite what I might think of their intelligence, I have refrained
from making accusations of such.  They may or may not be involved, but I
haven't seen any evidence to support that notion, aside from their own
inexplicable concern over the name.  I am more inclined to believe that
they are simple puppets in the matter (emphasis on simple).  However, I
have seen *proof* of other's doings but am currently forced to withhold
that person's name out of respect for the source of the information.

Regards,
Cliff

--
Now as the petals are no more