[PLUG] syslog.conf

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Wed Jan 21 06:35:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:47:36PM -0800, Guy Noire wrote:
> I need to get these lines out of /var/log/auth.log
>

> Jan 20 22:39:01 kosmal cron(pam_unix)[12621]: session closed for user kevan
> [...]
>
> So I changed /etc/syslog.conf to this.
>

> auth,authpriv.*;cron.none        /var/log/auth.log
> <added cron.none>
>
> Question is ??
>
> What am I doing wrong??
> Shouldn't that stop cron logging in auth.log??

You'd think so, eh?

> I am missing something here..

The log lines in question *aren't* coming from cron, they're coming
from pam_unix.so and they're coming at authpriv.info, not cron.*.  The
following may work (untested):

authpriv.!info;auth,authpriv.*   /var/log/auth.log

Although this may lose information in other ways.

What you should do is use a program like logcheck to filter and send
you email of suspicious log entries. Then you can tweak the filters
with regex's to get rid of this stuff on a more fine-grained level.

HTH

--
chris kb7rnl =->