[PLUG] Signal:Noise -- an Observation

Felix Lee felix.1 at canids.net
Wed Jan 21 12:15:03 UTC 2004

Cliff Wells <cwells at commandprompt.com>:
> >Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>:
> >>  Please think about this when a question is posted to the list and you
> >>respond to it. Many times the answer would be of general interest and should
> >>be captured in the list archives. Too often that is not the case.

> Actually, they were perfectly consistent.  Perhaps you should read them
> again as I suspect you missed the very last sentence of the second
> paragraph.

ah, it's phrased oddly.  I interpreted the last sentence as "too
often, the answer isn't archived and should be" rather than the
opposite.

probably because I tend to feel not enough is public.  Rich
proposes that people can answer a question privately, and anyone
else who wants to know can send email to ask for the answers too.
this doesn't really work well in the general case.  there are
many reasons this can fail to get a timely answer, or any answer
at all.  it's simpler if questions and answers are both just
automatically archived and indexed.

one common workaround is "respond to me privately, and I'll
summarize".