[PLUG] Signal:Noise -- an Observation

Cliff Wells cwells at commandprompt.com
Wed Jan 21 12:32:01 UTC 2004

Felix Lee wrote:

>ah, it's phrased oddly.  I interpreted the last sentence as "too
>often, the answer isn't archived and should be" rather than the
>opposite.

I have a tendency to phrase things similarly which is perhaps why I
caught it.  I'm not sure what that sort of phrasing would be referred to
as, but in my case at least, it's probably some sort of pretentiousness ;-)

>probably because I tend to feel not enough is public.  Rich
>proposes that people can answer a question privately, and anyone
>else who wants to know can send email to ask for the answers too.
>this doesn't really work well in the general case.  there are
>many reasons this can fail to get a timely answer, or any answer
>at all.  it's simpler if questions and answers are both just
>automatically archived and indexed.

Well, although he pointedly avoided mentioning it directly, it seemed
clear to me that he's referring as much to our little flame war as
anything else, and I can certainly appreciate his position.  All the
mudslinging should probably be taken offlist.

/me volunteers but demands followers.

Regards,
Cliff