[PLUG] The wrong app

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Jan 22 15:13:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Brent Rieck wrote:

> > The biggest example of this that I see is using smtp to push large
> > attachments to others. Many headaches are saved when people learn
> > how to use http and/or ftp instead.
>
> I actually think this is currently the best way to move large chunks
> of data around for the average person, it's up to the IT departments
> to accommodate users' needs rather than the other way around.

I agree on both counts: it's easy, and it's up to IT to provide an
easy alternative.

I could have stated the problem a little better. It's one thing to
send an attachment to someone; that's quick and easy.

It's another thing to send the same attachment to many people; that's
when dropping it in ~/public_html (or H:\public_html in the unified
NFS/CIFS environment we provide here) make so much more sense, and
I'd be hard-pressed not to laugh out loud if someone claims it's a
difficult procedure.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>