[PLUG] The wrong app

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Thu Jan 22 17:28:02 UTC 2004

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> It's another thing to send the same attachment to many people; that's
> when dropping it in ~/public_html (or H:\public_html in the unified
> NFS/CIFS environment we provide here) make so much more sense, and
> I'd be hard-pressed not to laugh out loud if someone claims it's a
> difficult procedure.

I've had the same setup in many places I've been, and you're right it's
not difficult for you and I and perhaps the people you work with, but it
is difficult for the vast majority of the computer using public.

Here's what I've witnessed multiple times: instead of Joe Salesguy just
attaching a file to an email and letting email do what it does he now
has to copy it to h:\public_html.

And figure out that that maps to "http://www.companyname.com/bobo/".

And tack the name of the file onto it and send the email containing the
url of the file.

And the file's name is "4th quarter sales projections (eastern
division).ppt".

And then all of the recipients' mail program's url parsers won't
properly parse a bare url with spaces in it and everybody trys to grab
the file at "http://www.companyname.com/bobo/4th"

And then all of the recipients email Joe back and say they couldn't get it.

And then Joe just attaches the file to an email and sends it off and
calls up the IT department and (very rightly) bitches at them (for the
wrong reasons).

--Brent