[PLUG] The wrong app

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Thu Jan 22 23:32:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 22:43, Jeff Schwaber wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 14:22, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:17:16PM -0800, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> > > What's your experience?
> >
> > I once saw a drawing distributed as a spreadsheet using the cell border characters for the line draw.  It included instructions on what size to verify the cells were at to ensure the printed drawing would be to scale.
> >
> > How about people using their email folders as a document filing system?  Right up to mailing things to themselves to put items into the system.
>
> Most of us. One is tempted to suggest a content management system, but I
> have never seen a content management system that satisfied the following
> requirements:
>
> 1) had a _simple_ web front end, which was:
>     a) secure
>     b) fast
> 2) had a gui or cui front end, with searching capabilities
> 3) could easily import items from other sources (email, web pages)
>    a) would like to be able to put a url in, and have it screenscrape,
> either content or the entire page with images
>    b) would like to forward an email to a gateway, or dump an mbox file
> or Maildir dir at it in some way (http upload? upload through the
> gui/cui?) and have it keep it intelligently.
>
> Until that exists, do you have a better way of doing things than email?

HomeBase Anywhere (http://homebase.oeone.net/) may give you some ideas
of what is possible.  WebDAV is behind most of their transfer
technology.  As an Apache module, I have found it to be quite useful,
too.  (This is known as "Web Folders" in mikerowesoftees.)

> Or does that exist? (please?)

Not exactly, but they are getting close!  I believe the pieces are
there, it is just a matter of getting them all to play together.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree