[PLUG] UML

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon Jan 26 11:08:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 10:42, Chris Jantzen wrote:

> > Well, there's no point in using md with a uml, then, afaict.
>
> You can actually use uml to test kernel features, such as md. Or test
> recovery from block device failure.

Hmmm... I wasn't aware uml was quite that versatile.  What I and friends
use it for, essentially, is isolating servers.  :-)

> Actually, there is a very, very important host kernel patch that can
> improve security within the uml and give you a factor of 2 performance
> boost. You are right that it is not required, however.

The skas patch?  It's against 2.4.19, although "should" work with other
"nearby" kernels... since I'm moving any machine whose kernel needs to
be recompiled to 2.6.x, I kinda glossed over that one.  :-)

For what I use the UMLs for, I really don't notice any kind of
performance hits... but then, I'm not running a heavily loaded server of
any kind, really.

Rob