[PLUG] freezer poll

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Mon Jan 26 16:03:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 15:38, Russell Senior wrote:
> My in-laws just had a *clicking* hard disk failure.  I've already got
> a replacement, but I am doing a poll answer the following questions:
>
>   a) who has tried the freezer trick;

I have several times.

>   b) if the freezer trick worked on not;
>
>   c) describe the freezer trick that they used.

I have the drive in an external firewire bay with quick remove tray.  I
grab the tray and stick it in the beer-fridge^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
forensics-and-therefore-a-write-off-cooling-system, and let it "cool"

Ice is bad, but not deadly with the tray.

Often I get 5-10 minutes on a drive.  I do not know why, but it
works....

> It'd be kind of handy to get the old data off the mortally wounded
> drive.

rsync screwed me since it got bad data off the drive and copied it.
running checksums (-c) is too slow.....

dd of the drive would fail too.

Sometime you cannot get certain areas.

--