[PLUG] UML

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon Jan 26 19:25:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 19:10, Kyle Hayes wrote:

> > A little bit, yes.  I've run them locally to play with and am leasing
> > one for $5/month in Canada.
>
> I saw the thread on that.  Sounds very interesting.  How's performance?

I wouldn't know where to test that, even.  :-)

I suppose I could play with bzip2 and stuff?  bind, apache, sshd,
they're all responsive as I would expect on such a shared machine.

> I turned off devfs completely in the kernel and still had this problem.   I
> worked around it by creating a hard link from /dev/ubd/0 to /dev/ubd0.

You can pass root=/dev/ubd0 to the kernel for that.

> I tried KNOPPIX, but the disk image seems to be unreadable for the kernel.  I
> think I need the zisofs patches.

KNOPPIX, AFAIK, boots with an initrd that includes a cloop module for
the kernel you boot with.  It then mounts the big image file with that
cloop driver.... I don't think they use zisofs.

Rob