[PLUG] xfd: printing the displayed font table

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Tue Jan 27 21:58:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 05:45:31PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   In the 2D drawing program I use for my book illustrations (tgif) I can
> enter Greek letters and mathematical symbols on the figures. To determine
> the keystrokes for a particular character I need to refer to the X font
> display (xfd) for the symbol font. This works like a charm.

May I kibitz and ask:

a) Why are you doing book illustrations for what don't sound like
"user manual" things at screen resolution and DPI?  Your printer does
at least 300dpi, if not 600dpi. And you'll be publishing a book at at
least 1200dpi. I suspect a non-fullscreen 72dpi illustration will look
like garbage.

b) Why aren't you using LaTeX? It would avoid having to look up odd
keystrokes and tends to do a much better job of laying out formulas
anyways. I could give you several PDF files of homework I've done for
my math degree if you'd like to see samples.

You surely have valid reasons, so I know that open discussion would
benefit the list. :-)

--
chris kb7rnl =->