[PLUG] ftp-fedora?

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Wed Jan 28 18:59:01 UTC 2004

Bill Spears wrote:
> When I try to ftp, on my LAN, I get this error (same error from 3
> different systems):
>
> [me at zeus me]$ ftp apollo
> Connected to apollo (10.0.1.19).
> in.ftpd: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.2: cannot open
>
> The offending system was just upgraded from RH8 to Fedora Core 1.

Did you upgrade the server or the client?  You can diagnosis the
dependency problem by finding: a) what package is the FTP server

rpm -qf /usr/sbin/in.ftpd

b) what version of libssl it requires

rpm -q --requires <ftpd server package> | grep ssl

c) what version of openssl is installed

rpm -q openssl

d) what version of libssl it provides.

rpm -q --provides openssl

e) if anything provides libssl.so.2

rpm -q --whatprovides libssl.so.2

My guess of what happened is that the server was running wu-ftpd or
proftpd as FTP server.  Fedora Core 1 only has vsftpd.  The FC1
installer force upgraded openssl.  The orhpaned ftpd was left without
its ssl libraries.

The solution is to install the openssl06b package.  It provides the
libssl.so.2 library for RH8 and older packages.  Another option is to
use the included vsftpd server.  If you are using wu-ftpd, you should
definitely consider it since vsftpd is more secure.  If you were using
proftpd, you can find a FC1 package from freshrpms.net.

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/