[PLUG] ftp-fedora?

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Wed Jan 28 20:59:02 UTC 2004

A f-g brilliant post.  Have you hacked my system.

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 16:42, Zot O'Connor wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 14:22, Bill Spears wrote:
> > When I try to ftp, on my LAN, I get this error (same error from 3
> > different systems):
> >
> > [me at zeus me]$ ftp apollo
> > Connected to apollo (10.0.1.19).
> > in.ftpd: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.2: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > The offending system was just upgraded from RH8 to Fedora Core 1.
>                                 ^^^^^^^^
>
> I am wondering if this is the problem.
>
> On the fedora site:
>
>         ls *ftp*
>         ftp-0.17-18.i386.rpm                   ncftp-3.1.6-2.i386.rpm
>         ftpcopy-0.6.2-3.i386.rpm               tftp-0.33-2.i386.rpm
>         gftp-2.0.14-5.i386.rpm
>         tftp-server-0.33-2.i386.rpm
>         lftp-2.6.5-4.i386.rpm                  vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm

I  don't know how you did that "ls *ftp*".  I did the time consuming
"yum search ftp" and got same results.  So since I was using wu-ftpd,
which comes with RH8, I came to the same conclusion. I considered Rob's
idea of scp, and will eventually go there, but, for X's sake I just
wanted to move some files around my lan(as far as I know, I don't offer
any services to the outside world).

> I grabbed the only ftp server (vsftp), but there is no in.ftpd
>
>         rpm -qlip vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm | grep bin
>         /usr/sbin/vsftpd

Not sure what "i option" adds here.
> So, my guess is your system is running in.ftpd, or via inetd and its not
> a fedora package.
Nope, as I explained, I was running wu-ftpd, inherited from RH8.  Since
I want to go with Fedora, I elected to dump wu-ftpd and install vsftpd.

I "yum install vsftpd"d and it worked, sort of. It only allowed
anonymous login's which is not what I wanted.

After swimming around in a deep sea of "I almost understand that", I got
it working the way I want.  Since I'm grateful for anyone that takes the
time to do these package thingies, I'm loath to criticise, but I think
the package install is not quite right for Fedora.  I had to read the
tar documentation, "Install", in order to get it working.  It's
installed so that you have to copy an example "conf" file into /etc, and
vsftpd.xinetd file into /etc/xinetd.d and edit it.  Also
/etc/vsftpd.conf has to have at least one line changed to run under
xinetd. If I were doing this as a package for Fedora, which I presume is
going to use xinetd, I would make these part of the initial install.  I
don't know how to handle the change to non-anoymous only.  I guess you
just have to know to read the "conf" file.

> >From an old system I see:
>         rpm -qiRf --root=/mnt/g3 /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
>         Name        : wu-ftpd                      Relocations: (not relocateable)
>         Version     : 2.6.0                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
>         Release     : 14.6x                         Build Date: Fri 23 Jun 2000 06:18:06 AM PDT
>         Install Date: Thu 06 Sep 2001 12:45:33 AM PDT      Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
>         Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM: wu-ftpd-2.6.0-14.6x.src.rpm
>         Size        : 446960                           License: BSD
>         Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 23 Jun 2000 09:07:50 AM PDT, Key ID 219180cddb42a60ePackager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
>         Summary     : An FTP daemon provided by Washington University.
>         Description :
>         The wu-ftpd package contains the wu-ftpd FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
>         server daemon.  The FTP protocol is a method of transferring files
>         between machines on a network and/or over the Internet.  Wu-ftpd's
>         features include logging of transfers, logging of commands, on the fly
>         compression and archiving, classification of users' type and location,
>         per class limits, per directory upload permissions, restricted guest
>         accounts, system wide and per directory messages, directory alias,
>         cdpath, filename filter and virtual host support.
>
>         Install the wu-ftpd package if you need to provide FTP service to remote
>         users.
>         fileutils
>         inetd
>         /bin/sh
>         ld-linux.so.2
>         libc.so.6
>         libcrypt.so.1
>         libdl.so.2
>         libnsl.so.1
>         libpam.so.0
>         libresolv.so.2
>         /usr/bin/perl
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
>         libcrypt.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
>         libresolv.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)

It's interesting that the offender "libssl.so.2" didn't show up.

> And really, ditch ftp for ssh/scp/sftp/rsync.....

I intend to.