[PLUG] 'Net access from hotels

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Thu Jan 29 15:12:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:01:04PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Perhaps some of you know what a hotel means when it says that its rooms
> "have high-speed Internet access". Might this be something I could use with
> some linux software to ssh to my office network?

It might be wireless, it might be a Ethernet jack that gets to the Internet
through the hotel DSL line.

Usually you can ssh to your office.

When I was in Sidney Montana recently (pop 1,200 and big for the area) the hotel
had a Win95 box in the lobby on DSL for customer Internet access.  For ssh to
the world:

	http://www.google.com
	search "putty download" click on "I'm feeling lucky"
	click on link for putty.exe
	select option to run from server
	ssh away!

The same technique can work from airport Internet kiosks.

--
      Michael Rasmussen  aka  mikeraz
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity