[PLUG] Controlling grub from Windows?

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Fri Jan 30 09:43:02 UTC 2004

Here is the short question. Is there a way
to edit grub.conf from Windows?

Here is the longer background.
I have a dual boot machine that is headless.
with no keyboard or monitor.
When it is in Windows I access it with VNC,
when it is in linux I use ssh and X11 forwarding.
The boot loader is grub. The default boot OS in
grub is linux and when I want to boot to Windows
I insert a boot floppy which has a grub.conf
in which Windows is default.
I would like to do this without the floppy.
>From linux, I can edit grub.conf and tell it
to reboot to Windows. But once in Windows I can't
access grub.conf to tell it to boot back to linux.
[while writing that last sentence I thought of
one possibility. format the boot partition as fat32
that way I could edit grub.conf from both OSes
Will that work?]
Thanks for any suggestions,

Bill Barry