[PLUG] Controlling grub from Windows?

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Jan 30 12:30:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Bill Barry wrote:

> Here is the short question. Is there a way
> to edit grub.conf from Windows?

Having booted multiple OS's on one computer with
grub, the short answer is maybe.

The longer answer is this. Grub looks for the
grub.conf file as it starts, which (IIRC) is usually
on one of the Linux partitions (whatever /boot is mapped to).
If you can see the partition that the grub.conf is on
from Windows, you can do it.

Since then & now I would prefer to have as little
to do with the internals of Windows as possible, I
have no idea if there is a way to mount either a ext2 or
ext3 partition from Windows -- & I tend to doubt it can
be done.

Geoff