[PLUG] OT: Sonicwall and SSH

Matt Alexander m at pdxlug.org
Fri Jan 30 22:07:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Bill Barry wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 07:08:01PM -0800, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > Any Sonicwall users out there?  Have you found a way to keep your SSH
> > connections from being dropped after a few minutes of inactivity?
> >

> Are you sure this is Sonicwall specific. I am not using
> Sonicwall, but had to do two things
> to keep my ssh connections from timing out.
> in /etc/ssh/ssh_config set KeepAlive yes
> and
> echo 300 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

It is specific to the Sonicwall because I only have the problem when the
Sonicwall is between me and the server.  The Sonicwall is tearing down the
connection when it doesn't see any traffic for several minutes (which is
actually a good thing from the firewall's point of view).

"KeepAlive yes" is the default for SSH, but setting the tcp_keepalive_time
lower is an interesting solution.  Currently I see that it's set to 2
hours (at least on Fedora 1).  Setting it lower will affect all TCP
connections, not just SSH, that use KeepAlive but that should be fine and
hardly noticable on my laptop.
Thanks,
~M