[PLUG] Another hard linux lesson learned: oops!

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Sat Jan 31 19:43:02 UTC 2004

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   This means, of course, that I cannot even boot into single user mode. What
> I'm thinking I need to do run through the install floppies, keeping the
> partition table intact, then reinstall the system. But, that would not
> overwrite /usr/local, will it?
>
>   Would I be better off by downloading a copy of Knoppix, burning it onto a
> cdrom, and using that to gain access to the hard drives on the hobbled
> system? I suspect that if I can remove the inproper libc files I have a
> chance of booting properly.

Does your install medium have a rescue mode?  You could make a rescue CD
or floppy.  They are smaller than Knoppix.  I always have a LNX-BBC
mini-CD available for rescue situations.

Also, you might want to try starting a shell directly instead of going
through the single-mode init process.  Try setting the "init=/bin/bash"
kernel parameter.

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/