[PLUG] Slackware-9.1 network connection problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 4 15:48:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, AthlonRob wrote:

> If you're using a static IP, Slackware essentially just runs ifconfig and
> route for you...

Rob,

  Yes. And it was doing just fine until a couple of weeks ago.

> Can you manually run the appropriate ifconfig and route commands and see what
> happens?  Something like:
>
> # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.15 netmask 255.255.255.0
> # route add default gw 192.168.1.1
>
> ...then test your connectivity.

  Nope.

  The 'ifconfig ...' works just fine. But, as soon as I press [Enter] for
the 'route add default gw ...' I see: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable.

> What does the output from ifconfig and route -n look like?  On ifconfig look
> for bytes tx and rx, the IP address, and the netmask.  Under route -n, look
> at the default gateway (0.0.0.0) and what interface it is assigned to.  If
> you're playing with your wireless connection, check iwconfig for an access
> point and signal strength.

  ifconfig shows both eth0 and lo up. But, eth0 has receive packet errors
and does not display an IP address. 'route' shows only localhost (lo).
'route -n', after running ifconfig with the explicit eth0 address, shows the
Destination of 192.168.55.0, but the gateway is 0.0.0.0.

  The WiFi card is not in. I want to get the wired connectivity working
again -- consistently and upon booting -- before more attempts at the WiFi
access are made. Wait a moment ...

  I just remembered that Kurt suggested that I turn off the WAP. When I do,
ifconfig shows the proper IP address. Still can't ping ... but I'm rebooting
the notebook. Rats! No difference. That is, the network still doesn't come
up on the notebook. But, I suspect now that this has something to do with
the switches. Perhaps I cannot daisy-chain two regular LinkSys 4-port
switches and a LinkSys WAP. Anyone have an 8-port switch I can borrow to
test this theory?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)