[PLUG] Mail access from laptop on the LAN

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Mon Jun 7 16:36:02 UTC 2004

* Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> [040607 16:13]:
>   I've made a discovery with the inability of my fiancee to access mail from
> her laptop by turning on 'telnet' at the server. When the MUA tries to
> connect to 'mail.appl-ecosys.com', the connection is attempted to the
> external IP address. And, I have port 110 shut on the firewall.

If you are running your own dns server, you could use bind's "views"
feature to have queries for mail.appl-ecosys.com that come from
internal lan hosts answered with the internal, private address for your
mail host.

You'll need to do some reading up on how to do it, but your named.conf
would go something like this:

view "internal" {
	match-clients { 192.168.1.0/24; };
	...other options...

	zone "appl-ecosys.com" {
		type master;
		file "/var/named/db.appl-ecosys.internal";
	};

view "external" {
	match-clients { any; };
	...other options...

	zone "appl-ecosys.com" {
		type master;
		file "/var/named/db.appl-ecosys.external";
	};

--Stafford