[PLUG] Mail access from laptop on the LAN

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 8 05:27:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Derek Loree wrote:

> Is the client or the server displaying this message?

Derek,

  The client; it's a window on sylpheed.

> The log file on the server should give you a lot more information, unless
> the qpopper daemon isn't running at all.

  I believe that it is, but I will certainly check ...

  Hmmm-m. I guess not. I cannot find a 'popper' in the process list. What is
the daemon name?

> You really should try to telnet from the laptop to the pop3 port on the
> server.  This is a very good reality check.  I have set up several LAN's
> where the pop3 server (qpopper) is accessed by ip address rather than host
> name and they have always worked (still are as a matter of fact).

  I turned telnet on on the server and that's when I discovered that if I
set the MUA to seek mail on mail.appl-ecosys.com it attempts to get in the
firewall because the name is resolved to our world-visible IP address rather
than the internal LAN IP address. 'salmo' or 'mail' resolve to the
192.168.55.1 address, but not if the domain is specified, too.

  I'll check further for the qpopper daemon upon return to the office. (Off
to the gym now.)

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>