[PLUG] Mail access from laptop on the LAN

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 8 08:00:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Derek Loree wrote:

> ... unless the qpopper daemon isn't running at all.

Derek,

  I've looked, but I cannot find a running qpopper daemon.

  We can take this off the list if that's preferred, but perhaps others
could benefit as I learn, too.

  I have /usr/local/sbin/popper, but invoking that does not produce an entry
in the process list. And, despite my reading the pdf guide that came with
the source, I don't know how I want to configure it. IOW, I need some help
here. :-)

  In qpopper-4.0.5/samples/ I have two files: qpopper.config and
qpopper.xinetd. The former begins with:

# This file lists all Qpopper configuration file options.  To use,
# copy the desired setting to your own configuration file, remove
# the leading '#' and set the desired value.

Do I copy this to /etc/qpopper.config? I'm not sure what values to put in
most of these variables.

  I'm not running xinetd on the server. But, it looks like it invokes the
service for pop3 on port 110. I suppose this file needs to be copied
somewhere and invoked in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d or ../../init.d?

  All in all, I suppose that once I learn how to configure and fire up
popper I should see better results when trying to connect from that laptop,
eh?

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)