[PLUG] Mail access from laptop on the LAN

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 8 13:09:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Russell Senior wrote:

> /etc/services is just an association table (names to numbers), like
> /etc/hosts.  If there is a pop3 entry in /etc/inetd.conf then you
> won't see a running daemon in your process list unless someone is
> actively connected to the pop server.  The inetd "superserver" daemon
> will launch the program speicifed by /etc/inetd.conf for you when
> someone tries to connect to that port.

  Thanks, Russell. That clarifies things for me. However, I also rebuilt
qpopper with the --enable-standalone switch during the ./configure step.
According to the administrator's guide that should have the daemon running
all the time. I suspect that I need to do something with the .config and
.xinetd files, but I have no clue what.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>