[PLUG] Apache access control question

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed Jun 9 23:51:02 UTC 2004

I'm confused about access control under Apache (2.0).  What determines the
default access control?  For example, if I have an entry in httpd.conf
like the following, what sets the access control for /var/www/icons?

Alias /icons/ "/var/www/icons/"

<Directory "/var/www/icons">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

Ultimately what I would like to do is allow access to all of my web stuff
from 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.0/24 via http, and allow access to
selected directories from anywhere via https with basic auth.  I've
seen examples of this, but they would be easier to follow if I understood
how access control picks up its defaults, as well as whether there
is any scoping or inheritance of permissions.  Note that I'm not
planning to use htaccess files.

thanks,
galen