[PLUG] Comcast Bouncing Outbound Mail

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 10 20:27:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Mark Allyn wrote:

> I just did a telnet to port 25 of a non-comcast mail server from my
> comcast account (using a putty window) and was able to get out okey.

  I did not mean to imply that comcast is blocking everyone. However, I find
references on google to others who have had the same problem.

> So, your problem is not that comcast is blocking port 25.

  Whatever. Her mail to me doesn't make it out the door.

> I don't have an imap or pop client so I don't know if imap or pop are
> blocked but I doubt it.

  On whose end? My domain's MTA is located here and it feeds directly to
procmail which puts the messages in /var/spool/mail/<username>. No pop or
imap involved. Also, they're not involved at the sending end. I believe that
even Microsoft's MUA sends directly to the smtp server.

> If all else fails, you can try tunneling imap/pop/smtp over ssh. Go to
> www.openssh.org for help.

  You've lost me. Is the sender -- on a winduhs box -- supposed to do this?
I can't do anything on my end to suck mail from another's outbox can I?

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>