[PLUG] Comcast Bouncing Outbound Mail

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jun 11 06:09:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Keith wrote:

> On Thursday 10 June 2004 19:59, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> I just learned that a Comcast subscriber in New Joisey cannot send
>> e-mail to me; well, one actually made it through. The bounces she
>> receives say, "Permanent failure: other address status".
>>
>> A Web check with google turned up others with this problem. Has
>> anyone here experienced anything like this? This is a recent thing
>> here, within the past week or so.
>>
> I just read today that Comcast has implemented a no strict no spam
> or Trojan computer policy [...] also check to see if you are running
> spam assassin.

Either of these could be the issue.

The Comcast folks have said publicly that they will start to block
packets destined for port 25 on other machines if they think the
machine in question is being used to send spam. Since Comcast's cable
network is the source of huge amounts of spam, that's not a bad thing.

Also, some RBLs are pretty aggressive about labling Comcast networks
as untrustworthy. As Rich himself told me one day, some of my messages
had been marked as spam because they originate on a comcast.net
network, even though I relay all outbound mail through
smtp.comcast.net.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>